Data + Privacy
Identity, Privacy & Surveillance
Across East Africa and beyond, donors, corporations, and governments are investing in new means of identifying and monitoring customers and citizens. Some are tied to aspirations for better distribution of resources; others are commercial, while still others are more evidently nefarious. Technologies of identification — such as biometric IDs — are interlaced with methods of data analysis, facilitating or serving as means of population-level analysis, not merely individual identification. This roundtable brings together experts to discuss the nexus of identification, privacy, and surveillance in East Africa.
- Dr. Anja Kovacs, The Internet Democracy Project;
- Dorothy Mukasa, Unwanted Witness;
- Jacqueline Musiitwa, FSD Uganda;
- Nanjala Nyabola, writer & political analyst;
- Dr. Isaac Rutenberg, Strathmore Law School
Please join us on 3 September @ 13:00-14:30 East Africa Time (11-12:30 BST).