Data + Equity
The digital economy — facilitated by new technology, new resources, and regulatory liberalization — has opened a range of opportunities for East African entrepreneurs. The vibrant tech ecosystems from Kigali to Kampala, Nairobi to Dar es Salaam are creating new markets, jobs, and investment. However, a sense that these sectors are structured inequitably — by gendered and racial imbalances — lingers and sometimes erupts. What are the dynamics of inclusion and equity in the data economy? What is the relationship between technology investment, entrepreneurship, and inequality? What can be done to ensure the unequal playing field is levelled–for whom and by whom?
Our roundtable will include participation from:
- Nichole Yembra, The Chrysalis Capital;
- Agostine Ndung’u, Endeavour Kenya;
- Ebrima Fatty, AfricaSokoni;
- Simunza Muyangana, BongoHive; and
- Dr. Michel Wahome, co-author of Digital Entrepreneurship in Africa.
Please join us on 3 September @ 15:00-16:30 East Africa Time (13:00-14:30 BST).